The Surf Seeds project – Iran
Cross Culture Surf has worked in close partnership with Easkey Britton and Marion Poizeau from Waves of Freedom, to help promote surfing in Sistan-Baluchistan in South-East Iran. The ongoing Surf Seeds project specifically involves:
- Surf lessons taught by professionals, in accordance with the customs of the country
- A surfboard shaping workshop to teach how to make and repair surfboards (and the requirements to make surfboard materials available locally)
- Creative art workshop for decorating surfboards in collaboration with international local artists
- Inshore rescue and water safety courses taught by professionals
- Meetings with sports clubs, university students and girls’ schools to learn about their vision and the needs to make the sport accessible to everyone (a conference or seminar at the university in the coastal city of Chabahar and a meeting in local primary schools have already been proposed and supported by local officials).
- Meetings with politicians and local leaders who show willingness to develop surfing in the hope of attracting tourism to the region.
The project received extensive international media coverage as well as significant attention in the Basque Country from TV, radio and newspapers.
Leading Basque surfboard brand Pukas, kindly donated surfboards that have been sent to the small village of Ramin, to help setup Iran’s first surf club!